"Get Smart. Get Active."
Tyler's Page on CAHPERD
Angela - Media
Stephanie - Presentations
Canadian Obesity Network
Make a Donation
Get Smart. Get Active. Trip Components
The Get Smart. Get Active. tour plans to involve people on many different levels. While Tyler will not be able to reach every person across Canada, there remains a need to reach as many as possible. In order to do so, the tour has a number of components to help spread the message:• Governmental Support: CAHPERD has agreed to join the tour as the title sponsor, providing government support and exposure, along with the full support of their staff and resources.
• Interactive Presentations: The tour will include presentations given to schools and parent groups. These presentations will provide students and parents with information on how to become more active in their everyday lives, the importance of quality physical education, and how to make choices that will lead to a healthier life. Students and parents will also be asked to offer their opinions on physical education and active living programs available to them and possibilities for improvement.
• Informative Website: The website will include a daily blog with Tyler’s route information and the experiences he is having while crossing the country. The site will also include a forum where people following the tour can post their ideas for becoming more active; and get support from across the country. There will be links to sites offering information on healthy living and activity programs available across Canada.
• Media Exposure: Features and editorials in local and national TV programs and papers will be a major goal of the tour. The exposure that the media can offer would be invaluable in bringing attention to the tour and its message.
• Door to door fundraising: Prior to the tour starting there will be active fundraising in the Victoria area. Physical Education specialists from the University of Victoria will be approaching businesses, associations, and other related companies to inform them about the tour, its goals, and the request for financial support.
• Partnerships with other events and organizations: By organizing small fundraisers and affiliating with other events and organizations a wide audience will be informed of our message as the tour approaches.